Tuesday, April 22, 2008

McBye-Bye




Don't get me wrong, I don't like animal cruelty. I read The Jungle and was pretty disgusted by the meat industry pre-FDA. I've gone through my vegetarian phase and I have personally reasoned that, for my own life, it is simply not necessary. No biggy.

Despite all of this i am hereby declaring (belatedly) that this is VEGETARIAN WEEK '08!!

That's right, for one full week (minus yesterday and half of today, apparently), i will not be eating meat.

This is not permanent, and it has nothing to do with animals.

I have decided that I consume much more fast food than the average American, and if you look at statistics concerning America's love affair with fast food, this should cause you to have great concern for my heart rate, arteries, waist-line, and brainpower.

This is not a condemnation of fast food. I simply have decided that in my own life, fast food is too much of a vice. I greatly admire those of you who can eat it occasionally, yet not become addicted. I consider this an addiction in my life.

I realize that to most of you, this seems pretty extreme. "You eat too much fast food, so why throw out the baby with the bathwater and give up meat entirely?" Well, i am a pretty "all or nothing" type of person and I am not yet disciplined enough to cut out fast food and just try to eat healthy portions of "good" meat. It's gotta be the whole hog (and you gotta love that pun.) One week with strictly fruits/veggies/whole grains will, I plan, be enough to raise my awareness that eating healthy food is not unbearable. If my hypothesis is correct, I will then be able to ween myself off of fast food and stick to a nice, healthy, preferably free range grilled chicken breast. As of right now, all i think of is the McChicken sandwich. Mmmm.

We'll see. Wish me luck, I can't wait until sunday.


In other news, Happy Earth Day, everyone. I want to camp out in google's festive logo:

3 comments:

allison. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
camille said...

i love it.

good luck! i know that you can do it.

great pun, and i love the line "i want to camp out in google's..."

[sorry, i accidentally posted under allison's name before...]

Whitney said...

i never would have guessed that you are a fast-food guy. good luck!

i sort of want to camp out there, too -- with that adorable little turtle, who wouldn't?