Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The "journal-y" update.

Well this web log is certainly proving to be proactive in my life. After that kerouac post, I cracked open Big Sur. It's a refreshing read, even if it does deal with delerium tremens quite a bit! Sometimes I need reminding of life through Kerouac's eyes. I feel like even at his worst, he still can (in his own weird way) find God while observing nature, people and most importantly himself. Great!

So I'm reading Big Sur, which is in some ways the end of his big, long, Duluoz Legend. I am reading it while admittingly skipping quite a few of the novels in the legend, and it is inevitably making me want to start from the first book, Visions of Gerard. That's a lot of reading, and Kerouac is kind of hard to swallow in large amounts (at least for me). We'll see how this all turns out, considering I am notorious for abandoning books indefinitely once a new literary interest comes along.

But really, I cannot get enough of Kerouac's naive, innocent, restless worldview. It's quite comforting, actually. His prose is so refreshingly lacking in pretention or literary norms that it is really no wonder that some novelists and professors hate him.

Oh well.

(btw, this post is not really what i envisioned for my web log. It's too "dear diary". I sincerely hope that I have informed my readers about life in general, not just what is pertinent to mine.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. I too can only take him in small doses.. for me I think its something to do with his instability

Anonymous said...

Great job on the site, it looks wonderful. I am going to bookmark it and will make sure to check often