Monday, March 31, 2008

This is not a joke

The empire records soundtrack is one of the best albums ever made.

Empire records scored a mere 13% on rotten tomatoes. The movie is really good. To say otherwise would be to betray everything that I have ever come to know and love about nostalgia. Maybe the window is different for every individual in my generation, but there was a period roughly between 1994-1998 that everything i absorbed is amazing to me. Things that are punchlines now; silverchair and bush's first two albums, doug and boy meets world, independence day! This stuff formed me, no matter how hard I will ever try to deviate from it.

So the soundtrack. So 1995 that it hurts. I actually only bought it about a year ago. A reason i didn't buy it back in the day, ironically, is because bands like the gin blossoms and toad the wet sprocket were punchlines to me and my friends. Now the gin blossoms sound so dated that they are one of my "go-to" bands for mid 90's nostalgia. I suggest you revisit your own nostalgic window and rediscover the bands you used to make fun of as well. You might find that for whatever reasons, what used to not be cool to you is exactly what you crave now. the gin blossoms for me were "safe" alternative music, a little too much classic rock and not enough eccentricity . Now i am considering downloading their entire catalog simply to have something to play in the background while i read.

post your nostalgic guilty pleasures in my comments section.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes i find that more people are using blogger but i'm in the process of trying to decide which one of mine to kill permanently.

try it out and if you dont like it just delete it.

bu till let you know once i have made up my mind.

-cduff

Whitney said...

hanson, natalie imbruglia, the 'living in the 90s' compilation. 'my father the hero.' but i embraced them back then and i still embrace them now.

Nathan said...

I advanced the theory in the dark days of the early millennium (2000-2002, give or take) that the best music of our generation derived from the Nirvana Gap, the big hole between 1994 and 1998 or so, where bands like...most of the folks on the Empire Records soundtrack, I guess, but also folks like Marcy Playground, Spacehog, Hum and the other radio rotation favorites got to come to the forefront. It was a good time for mainstream radio because no one was positive what would be popular, so they played everything. Nada Surf even got big (Nada Surf!).
Anyway, I like this post. That's a longwinded, roundabout way to get to a point. Thank you, law school.

Bradley Kerl said...

hey there, reid!

those photos were taken at lake ray roberts, just north of denton.

camille said...

deal! i vow to post more if you will.

and let's see what i can remember:
tlc, everclear, backstreet boys (yes, whatever).